That I May Know Him

 That I may know him, and the power of his resurrection, and the fellowship of his sufferings, being made conformable unto his death; - Philippians 3:10


It’s is a sad reality that most of us so-called professed Christians do not know Jesus. You say that can’t be true, but sadly it is. I dare to say that we only know the Jesus that lived on earth and not the risen Lord that is seated at the right hand of the Father in all of His glory, ever making intercession for the saints. It is even sadder that Lord does not know us. Oh, what will it be on that day of Judgement when the Lord says to some that profess to know Him, depart from me for I know you not? (Matthew 7:21-23)

 From the opening chapter of Isaiah, we see that Isaiah has a vision from the Lord concerning Jerusalem and Judah which goes on from chapter 1 through chapter 5. In chapter 6, Isaiah has a vision of the Lord during which he says: “Woe to me!” I cried. “I am ruined! For I am a man of unclean lips, and I live among a people of unclean lips, and my eyes have seen the King, the Lord Almighty.” (Isaiah 6:5). He was cleansed and commissioned to be a prophet unto God’s people. Most of us Christians go about with visions from the Lord, but we don’t have any vision of the Lord.

 John the Beloved was the closest disciple to Jesus when He was on earth. He rested upon the bosom of Jesus. He was also there on the mount of transfiguration (John 17:1-2). One would imagine that John already saw Jesus in all of His glory but then fast forward to the book of Revelation. When John saw the risen Lord, he fell at His feet as dead, a sign of worship (Revelation 1:12-17). Knowledge of risen Lord leads to incessant worship. If we say we know the risen Lord, how come we are not in constant worship of His divine majesty? Where is true worship in our churches today? Oh, that the eyes of our heart be opened, to see the Lord seated upon His throne, which will lead us to true worship.

How can we know the Lord and be known by the Lord? Apostle Paul had something to say about this in his letter to the church in Philippi. In Philippians 3:7-11, the Apostles says: “I count everything as loss because of the surpassing worth of knowing Christ Jesus my Lord.” Before we can know the risen Lord, we have to give up all that we are (a living sacrifice) for His sake. Only when we are empty of all knowledge of this world can we truly know Him.

Beloved, there is nothing better than knowing the risen Lord and being known by Him in this life. As Jesus said while He was here on earth, “if anyone desires to come after Me, let him deny Himself and take up his cross and follow Me.” (Matthew 16:24) I admonish you to lay down everything, take up your cross, that the risen Lord may fill you with the knowledge of Himself.

 

I encourage you to take out some time to ponder upon the lyrics of this hymn:

When I survey the wondrous cross

On which the young prince of glory died,

My richest gain I count but loss,

And pour contempt on all my pride.


Forbid it Lord that I should boast,

Save in the death of Christ my God!

All the vain things that charm me most,

I sacrifice them to His blood.


See from His head, His hands, His feet,

Sorrow and love flow mingled down!

Did ever such love and sorrow meet,

Or thorns compose so rich a crown?

 

Were all the realms of nature mine

That were a present far too small

Love so amazing, so divine

Demands my soul, my life, my all.




 

 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Through the darkest night

The Ancient Path